The Adventureland Workamper program provides a free hook up campsite that includes your electric, water and sewer. There is no contract or time commitment, but working to the end of our operational season will result in end of season bonuses. You are paid for all hours worked at the rate of $8.50/hour. Our program has become a Win-Win for Adventureland and the Workamper!
Who & What We Are
Adventureland is an outdoor amusement facility. Our Workampers primarily work in the amusement park. In addition to the amusement park, there is a 187 room Hotel and a 310 site campground spread over 200 + acres. We are located just east of Des Moines in Altoona, IA right off I-80 exit 142. We expect to provide entertainment for well over 600,000 guests this coming season.Adventureland Park is open, beginning with part time weekend operations, the last week of April. Full time daily operations go from mid-May through mid-August. The operational season returns to part time weekend only through the last weekend in September.
Working RVers have historically filled many positions here at Adventureland Park. They have worked in:
- Rides Department
- Duties include operating and/or assisting on various amusement park rides. Responsibilites include not only operating rides, but also assisting guests during the loading and unloading process and ensuring guest safety. These positions involve being on your feet for extended periods of time, requires good mobility and moderate lifting. You will be exposed to various weather conditions and have constant guest interaction.
- Retail Department
- Duties include working in one of many souvenir shops or kiosk in the park and waterpark. Responsibilites include, but are not limited to using point of sale computers, cash registers, credit card machines, stocking stores, cleaning, moderate lifting, standing and walking during your entire shift. Stores and kiosks include both indoor and outdoor facilities exposed to various weather conditions. Employees should be prepared for a fast paced, high volume and highly active retail environment.
- Foods Department
- Duties include taking food orders from guests, filling orders, accomplishing a cash transaction with or without a cash register, and preparation of food items. Lifting requirements include receiving and unpacking inventory and daily lifting of food items. Safety requirements include use of personal protective equipment for chemical hazards, proper safety attire and following all other company safety requirements.
- Games Department
- Duties include working in one of many games or arcades located throughout the park. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to cash handling, walking, standing, moderate lifting, prize issuance and player encouragement including microphone usage. Basic math skills and an outgoing personality are required. Games are located in both covered and uncovered facilities exposed to various weather elements. Employees should be prepared for a very active working environment with a high volume of guest interaction.
You need to be aware that all of our positions require you to be on your feet working. Many positions require that you work outside.
What Are The Benefits?
You will be paid for every hour worked at the rate of $8.50/hour.
Stay for FREE in our campground
As long as you are employed as a Workamper at Adventureland, you will receive, as a condition of your employment, a free campsite with water, sewer and electricity included. We have a beautiful five star rated campground with the following amenities: picnic tables, coin operated laundry facilities, comfort stations with showers, outdoor pool, free wireless internet, a dog run in the center of the campground and all within easy walking distance to the amusement park.
There are no contracts, no obligations, no penalties, and no small print. We are that confident that you will love our program. We will be completely honest with you about your job expectations and its benefits.
End of Season Bonuses
As an incentive to complete the season, we will calculate your total hours and pay an additional $.75 for every hour worked if you complete the season AND an additional bonus of $400 per campsite. Please Note: To receive the additional $400 bonus per campsite, the majority of campsite occupants must be working at Adventureland at the end of the season.
There will be several planned activities for our employees. Trips to area attractions, movie night, BINGO night, ice cream socials, contests, golf outings, area business discounts, and much more! You will have access to free park admission for a large portion of the season, as well as discounted tickets available to purchase for your friends and family that come to visit Adventureland.
We will provide two shirts at no cost along with a sweatshirt and raincoat. Additional shirts may be purchased at a minimal cost. Employees are responsible for the following: Low cut, black or white athletic style shoes; black belt with black shoes or brown belt with white shoes; non-cargo khaki shorts, pants, or capri pants (women only).
Summer Working Conditions
Most positions require little or no experience. All positions involve being on your feet and remaining active while interacting with our guests. Positions are indoors, semi-outdoors, and completely outdoors. Most indoor positions are not air-conditioned. You must be able to tolerate the heat and humidity of the Iowa summer. No matter what the weather conditions are, our employees are vital in developing the fun culture our guests have come to expect when visiting Adventureland Park.
Be available to work Saturday and Sunday.
During full-time daily operations - mid-May to mid-August:
Be available to work Saturday and Sunday.
Adventureland does not require you to commit to any length of time for Workamper employment, but working to the end of our operational season will result in end of season bonuses.
Team Member Dress Code
We have a dress code that we ask all of our employees to follow. Adventureland works at developing a clean, well kept appearance.
- Male Employees
- Hair can not extend below the shirt collar. Men may have a fully grown in, well-maintained mustache, beard or goatee.
- Female Employees
- If hair length is longer than shoulder length it must be tied back, and conservative use of make-up is required.
If you have specific questions about dress code please ask when calling or writing to us.
How to Apply
- Click the link to Begin Your Application Now.
- You may apply in person with the Adventureland HR Director at the 34th Annual Quartzsite RV Show. January 21-29, 2017 - Quartzsite, AZ - 9:00am - 5:00pm. Please complete an online application before arriving.
You may also apply in person with the Adventureland HR Director at the following 2017 Adventureland Job Fairs.
All Adventureland Job Fairs are open from 10:00am - 3:00pm. Please complete an online application before arriving.
- January 30 - Yuma, AZ - Shangri-La RV Resort.
- February 1-2 - Casa Grande, AZ - Sundance 1 RV Resort.
- February 3-4 - Apache Junction, AZ - Rock Shadows RV Resort.
- February 15-16 - Alamo, TX - Casa del Valle RV Park.
- February 20-21 - Wesley Chapel, FL - Quail Run RV Resort.
- February 23-24 - Haines City, FL - Central Park of Haines City RV Park.
You may call Adventureland at 1-800-532-1286 ext.262 by January 17th to set up an appointment to interview at any of these locations. However, making an appointment ahead of time is not necessary. Please complete an online application before arriving.
Adventureland will be interviewing AND hiring at these locations!!