2020 Workamper Program
The Adventureland Workamper program provides a free hook up campsite that includes your electric, water and sewer. There is no contract or time commitment, but working to the end of our operational season will result in end of season bonuses. You are paid for all hours worked at the rate of $8.50/hour. Our program has become a Win-Win for Adventureland and the Workamper!
Who & What We Are
Adventureland is an outdoor amusement facility. Our Workampers primarily work in the amusement park. In addition to the amusement park, there is a 187 room Hotel and a 310 site campground spread over 200 + acres. We are located just east of Des Moines in Altoona, IA right off I-80 exit 142. We expect to provide entertainment for well over 600,000 guests this coming season.Adventureland Park is opening with part time weekend operations, the last week of April. Full time daily operations go from mid-May through mid-August. The operational season returns to part time weekend only through the last weekend in September.
Working RVers have historically filled many positions here at Adventureland Park. They have worked in:
- Rides Department
- Duties include operating and/or assisting on various amusement park rides. Responsibilities include not only operating rides, but also assisting guests during the loading and unloading process and ensuring guest safety. These positions involve being on your feet for extended periods of time, requires good mobility and moderate lifting. You will be exposed to various weather conditions and have constant guest interaction.
- Retail Department
- Duties include working in one of many souvenir shops or kiosks in the park and water park. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to using point of sale computers, cash registers, credit card machines, stocking stores, cleaning, moderate lifting, standing and walking during your entire shift. Stores and kiosks are located both in and outdoors with and without air conditioning. You will need to be able to lift/carry/ pull up to 35 pounds, walk at least one mile and be on your feet for your scheduled shifts.
- Foods Department
- Duties include working in one of seven food court areas throughout the park, food preparation, sales with cash registers, cash and credit card transactions. You will be expected to work both in and outdoors, many locations without air conditioning, be on your feet during your shift and walk moderate distances from area to area. Lifting requirements include receiving and unpacking inventory and daily lifting of food items. Safety requirements include use of personal protective equipment for chemical hazards, proper safety attire and following all other company safety requirements.
- Games Department
- Duties include working in one of many games or arcades located throughout the park. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to significant guest interaction, cash handling, walking, standing, moderate lifting, prize distribution and player encouragement including microphone usage. Basic math skills and an outgoing personality are required. Games are located in both covered and uncovered facilities exposed to various weather elements.You will be required to walk moderate distances, be on your feet for extended periods without air conditioning and have the ability to carry up to 35 pounds.
Be aware that all of our positions require you to be on your feet working. Many positions require that you work outside.
You will be paid for every hour worked at the rate of $8.50/hour.
Stay for FREE in our campground
As long as you’re employed as a Workamper at Adventureland, you’ll receive, as a condition of your employment, a campsite with water, sewer and electrical hook ups at no charge. We have a beautiful campground facility. Picnic tables, coin operated laundry facilities, comfort stations with showers, outdoor pool, wireless internet in common areas, a dog run in the center of the grounds and all of this, within easy walking distance of the Park.
We’re so confident you’ll love our Workamper program that there are no contracts. We will be completely honest with you about your job expectations and its benefits.
End of Season Bonuses
As an incentive to complete the season, we will calculate your total hours and pay an additional $.25 up to $1.00 for every hour worked if you complete the season AND an additional bonus of $400 per campsite. Please Note: To receive the additional $400 bonus/campsite, the majority of the occupants of a campsite must be working at Adventureland at the end of the season and worked more than 50% of the operational days of the season. For details on hours worked bonus, please consult the Workamper Brochure.
Two shirts and a nametag will be provided with a $20 payroll deducted deposit. Additional shirts may be purchased at a minimal cost. Employees are responsible for the following: Low cut, black or white athletic style shoes; black belt with the black shoes or brown belt with the white shoes; non-cargo khaki shorts, pants, or capri pants (women only).
A variety of activities are planned for our Workampers including trips to area attractions, movie night, BINGO night, ice cream socials, contests, mini golf outings, pot lucks and dinners! Adventureland has also negotiated discounts with popular local businesses that you can take advantage of all season long. You will have access to free park admission for a large portion of the season, as well as discounted tickets available to purchase for your friends and family that come to visit Adventureland.
Summer Working Conditions
Adventureland is about 70 acres in size and that means any job assignment will require you to be physically able to walk to and from your location, be on your feet and actively involved with guests. Most positions require little or no experience. The majority of work assignments will expose you to the Iowa weather which can vary significantly from chilly and rainy to hot and humid throughout a season. You must be able to tolerate the heat and humidity of the Iowa summer. No matter what the weather conditions are, our employees are vital in developing the fun culture our guests have come to expect when visiting Adventureland Park. All positions involve being on your feet and remaining active while interacting with our guests. Positions are indoors, semi-outdoors, and completely outdoors. Most indoor positions are not air-conditioned.
- During weekend operations - late-April to mid-May & mid-August to late-September
- Be available to work Saturday and Sunday.
- During full-time daily operations - mid-May to mid-Aug
- Be available to work up to 40 hours/week, 8 hours/day and up to six days/week including Saturday and Sunday.
Adventureland does not require you to commit to any length of time for Workamper employment, but working to the end of our operational season will result in end of season bonuses.
Team Member Dress Code
We have a dress code that we ask all of our employees to follow. Adventureland works at developing a clean, well kept appearance.
- Male Employees
- Hair can not extend below the shirt collar. Men may have a fully grown in, well-maintained mustache, beard or goatee.
- Female Employees
- If hair length is longer than shoulder length it must be tied back, and conservative use of make-up is required.
You have several options for applying for our Workamper positions:
- Click the link to Begin Your Application Now .
You may apply in person with the Adventureland HR Director at the following locations:
- January 18 - 26, 2020 37th Annual Quartzsite RV Show - Quartzsite, AZ
- January 23-26, 2020 - Ft Myers RV Show - Ft Myers, FL
- February 12-16, 2020 - Houston RV Show - Houston, TX
You may call Adventureland at 515-957-4960 to set up an appointment to interview at any of these locations; however, making an appointment ahead of time is not necessary. Adventureland will be interviewing and hiring at these locations!